- Family Law
With more than 35 years of legal experience, Jim focuses his practice on all aspects of family law, including divorce, child custody, support modifications, as well as prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Prior to founding The Peterson Firm, Jim worked for a large Atlanta law firm handling complicated corporate litigation cases. This invaluable experience provided Jim the knowledge and skills necessary to handle complex divorce cases involving significant assets and family businesses.
Jim has extensive trial experience (both jury and non jury) and argued numerous landmark cases before the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Georgia Supreme Court. Most of Jim's clients come as referrals from other attorneys and former clients who know and respect his professional reputation. Jim's clients have ranged from stay-at-home parents to attorneys, business leaders, professional athletes, professors, airline pilots and doctors.
Consistently recognized as one of the top 5% of all divorce attorneys in the State of Georgia, Jim has been named to the prestigious Super Lawyers list as published in Atlanta Magazine every year since 2008 and has been named as a member of the "Georgia Elite" by Georgia Trend Magazine every year since 2008.
Jim is an avid cyclist, runner and triathlete, and he has competed in numerous marathons, century bike races, 4 Ironman Triathlons and 3 half-Ironman Triathlons.
- Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson, Mississippi
- J.D - 1984
- Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- LL.M. - 1986
- Major: Taxation
- Appalachian State University
- BA - 1980
- Georgia, 1984
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1984
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 1984
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 1984
- Top Attorneys in Georgia, Super Lawyers Magazine
- Georgia Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine
- AVVO Client Choice Award
- Member, Old War Horse Club
- Member, Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Atlanta Bar Association, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Georgia, Family Law Section, 1984
- State Bar of Georgia Bar Services Committee, 1985 to 1994
Current Employment Position
- Founding Attorney